Updated for June 2018
HoloGirlsVR have not updated their website since March of 2018
HoloGirlsVR Quick Review Score
Number of Movies
Variety of Pornstars
HoloGirls VR Review
- Number of movies: 5/5. HoloGirlsVR has around 211 movies as of June 2018, and some of the early ones we would strictly categorize as Beta efforts. Hell, some of the recent ones, we would strictly categorize as Beta efforts! We recommend sampling the free downloads first to see if they are your cup of tea. They were trying different things at HoloGirls VR, so expect something different from what you are getting at the other studios. As well, a large portion of these "movies" I would term "clips" in respect to duration, and the scenes being chopped into multiple parts for drip feeding purposes.
- June 2016 update, HoloGirlsVR has a heavy emphasis on facesitting releases right now, at the expense of standard sex scenes. Your mileage may vary here. Mistress T is also seeing a fair bit of rotation for her niche type content.
- Fall 2016 saw a lot of casting couch and solo type content
- Winter 16/17.....has been kind of weird with more solo content and more obscure talent being featured.
- Early 2017 has featured more B/G type content and some high profile shoots with Holly Hendrix and Piper Perri.
- Summer 2017 has seen the inclusion of generic European VR content being added??? No idea, it is non-exclusive, European VR found at studios like VR3000.
- Sub pricing: 1/5. Sub pricing has changed in March 2017 to either 24.95/mo or 71.40/year. The monthly feels high for me, while the annual is right on track with the competition for top pricing. You can use our promo code "3dpornreviews" for 20% off any first sub for savings on either the monthly or annual sub.
- July 2017 saw HoloGirlsVR release a total of 2 hours of original content, much in the form of 15 minute clips, supplemented by almost 2 hours of 3rd party, generic content, which makes $24.95 look pretty bad in my eyes and if this continues as a trend, this score will be lowered.
- Score lowered to a 1 in November 2017 given that Holo has scarcely updated their website in months, and continue to offer annual and monthly subs with no explanation whatsoever. You cannot charge money for that in my book. If you sub, sub for the current catalog. 1 hour and 35 minutes worth of clips were added in November 2017 and an entire 40 minutes worth in December.
- January 2018 saw one original clip at 12 mins and a 41 minute AVN clip (da fuq?), along with 2 VR3000 scenes. 3 clips uploaded in February 2018 of which only one looks to be original content and scarcely any new content added since in 2018.
- Update Frequency: .5/5. While I am not sure HoloGirlsVR subscribes to any set release schedule, it has generally been an average of like 3 a week, but many of these were also being sectioned into Part 1, Part 2 drip feeds that I am definitely not a fan of.
- July 2017, saw just 2 hours of clips being released. August looked a bit better. September saw 6 releases, clips from older shoots and a part 1&2 "rerelease extended cut".
- With only two 35 minute clips of original content released in October 2017, and absolutely no explanation offered over the last several months, this rating is dropping to a .5/5. All I can say atm, is things seem really sketchy and you cannot rely on a release schedule at HoloGirlsVR in late 2017. November, mirroring recent months, the output was 1 hour and 35 minutes of content and this continued into December and January, all without a peep from HoloGirlsVR.
- April 2018: HoloGirlsVR have not updated since March 9th, with one 20 minute clip being released in March.
- Variety of Pornstars: 3/5. HoloGirlsVR feature some great talent such as Penny Pax, Brett Rossi, Riley Reid, Yhivi, Joanna Angel, Mistress T and Abella Danger. But they also tend to feature the same performers for months at a time. When they started in early 2016, there was a lot of variety and this has since evaporated in 2017.
- Variety/Kink/Niche content: 5/5. We are giving HoloGirlsVR 5/5 stars here due to the amount of variety they have in their repertoire. Everything from a 6 person MFMFMF orgy, some anal scenes, a FFM dom type scene, facesitting scenes, a 6 girl scene......you get the point. It is not 1st person POV MF scene after scene. Though, the first person POV stuff they DO shoot, can be very similar and repetitive in basic formula over much of the catalog.
- Tech: 1/5: On the bulk of the catalog, I really have to give it a one out of five on a usability and visual quality considering seaming. Most of the Movies from year one, display noticeable stitching in the images, as well as cropping of talents body parts as they would cross the seam lines. This caused HoloGirlsVR to have to shoot their action in what amounted to a lampshade cone, to prevent clipping and this also served to prevent them from getting close to the rig with talent, resulting in some of the most distant footage shot for VR porn. This also resulted in other bizarre things you would not see at any other studio such as editing out insertion footage, as the talent would frequently clip the shooting cone when mounting the dick :). I am not kidding! Like, a lot of movies! As well, the multicam stitched rig approach used the first year, resulted in a giant rig that could not shoot first person PoV's convincingly. 2017 saw a rig in use at HoloGirlsVR that aimed to solve many of the issues with seaming, at the expense of their former image sharpness. Audio tech, is typically no higher than amateur quality in many of the releases from a guy with a degree in audio production and some examples are quite bad by any standard. Scene lighting as well.....can be terrible unless you love glare and shadow. Though things are looking a bit better in 2017, on the bulk of the catalog, I really can't manage more than a 1 rating as compared to the competition. I thought year one 2016 HoloGirlsVR tech was flat out terrible and 2017 has only seen marginal or lateral shifts here.
- VR Production: 2/5. I give HoloGirlsVR a 2 of 5 on the bulk of the catalog here. On one hand, it is different. That is in part to there being multiple producers working at HoloGirls, so the footage can vary in style. Consistency is an issue, if you are looking for it. It is an adventurous, often experimental type flavor, which is cool sometimes.....if you are not paying a premium price for it. In many cases, production simply could not shoot compelling footage on the gear they were tasked with shooting on in 2016. There are some exceptions in the catalog of more groundbreaking vision from production, but I think we will have to watch 2017 develop as they shoot on more conventional gear to see what they can really do in the space of adult VR production. *aaaaand nothing really developed here in 2017.
- Searchability/Navigation: 5/5. September 2016 found a much needed homepage update, adding some additional navigation to the site and a more organized appearance. Further changes have been made recently in the Spring of 2017, and the site is overall easy to get around.
- Extras/Networks: 3/5. Long free samples are now being provided, many running 5 to 7 minutes in length, and membership at HoloGirlsVR also provides access to RLCVR and Red Light Center 2 beta, which is HoloGirlsVR's virtual social club kind of feature. I have personally never heard anyone comment on this feature and have not been compelled to check it out myself, so I cannot comment on this section.
- Download Speed: 4/5. Download speeds are average to good for me for VR porn sites over a year and a half now at HoloGirlsVR.
- A brand new rig update has been debuted in March, 2017 resulting in a cleaner looking image, at least up close in the first movie I have seen with it. There did seem to be some slight distortion along the far edges of the frame. On the other hand, many movies I have seen over Summer have displayed scale issues, on the smaller side.
- Overall Immersion/ VR Sense: I would say it REALLY varies from clip to clip. There are some immersive movies at HoloGirlsVR. But eye contact is off significantly in many first year clips and that hurts immersion quite a bit in those movies as do the visible seams in the image. Newer Summer/Fall 2016 movies have been a bit better on eye contact. Immersion on most B/G scenes is really lacking for me personally in many cases just due to the way they had to shoot the scenes with the first rig designs, let alone any other factors such as intimacy. It varies A LOT, depending upon your personal tastes.
- January 2018 WARNING: HoloGirlsVR have been totally unreliable over the last few months and have barely updated the website, have failed to respond to inquiry via reddit, and have made no other explanation as to what is going on. Buyer beware on anything over a month sub, or if you are looking for future updates. 1 original 12 minute clip was posted in January 2018, along with an AVN clip. Yay. March saw one 20 minute clip posted and there has been little in the way of updates since.
HoloGirlsVR Review Score
3DPornReviews Discount Available
Use promo code "3dpornreviews" for -10%, now -20% off 1st purchase on any level sub!
Quick Points/Update Timeline
- Oculus Rift, Gear VR, HTC Vive, PSVR, Google Carboard and many other headset formats supported.
- Around 211 "movies" as of May 2018 - Some of these titles are non exclusive movies also found on VR3000 and other sites.
- Unique videos, a few awesome 3rd person Voyeur POV videos break the 1st person POV mold. (when originally written in 16')
- Top industry talent such as Riley Reid, Joanna Angel, Abella Danger and Yhivi.
- Free samples, newer ones running 5 to 7 minutes or longer
- Changes made in Summer 2016 helped with player codec issues experienced by some, such as h.264 MP4 format to support Nvidia 970's and 80's that don't handle h.265 well. Check the "device" menu in upper right corner to choose the format to download and use the "generic" file for older GPU's.
- Membership now grants access to RLCvr and Red Light Center 2 beta, HoloGirlsVR's adult virtual community.
- 3/8/17 UPDATE: Pricing Change at HoloGirlsVR. Now only offering one month and annual tiers with the annual rate dropping more than $100.00.
- New rig improvements unveiled in March 2017
- New tech issues introduced after new rig "improvements"
- 3rd party, non-exclusive content added to fill in the release schedule, in Summer 2017
- The most inconsistent catalog in VR porn, it is all over the place, which you may or may not dig. This includes the release schedule in late 2017.
- Release density dropped sharply in late Summer/Fall 2017
- Scale issues (smaller) with many clips in Summer 2017
- The site went 3 weeks without updating in late Sept/October 2017, with the first October update being a VR3000 scene.
- Kind of sketchy feeling in Winter 2017 and I would not pay for an annual sub currently. HoloGirls used to rank higher here, but I cannot condone what is going in the last part of 2017 or their total lack of communication about it to the community so their review score has dropped quite a bit. 2018 has seen very little activity at HoloGirlsVR.
* Unique content / flavor
* Some top talent
* Interesting when they first started in 16'
* Good for say, Mistress T or Samantha Mack Fans in particular
* Sketch vibe in late 17'- early 18'
* Beta tech at best for most of the catalog
* Movies cut into clips for drip feeding
* Barely updating in 2018
* Non exclusive content with VR3000 scenes added
*Buyer beware on anything over a 1 month sub I would say right now, just in terms of the lack of new updates*
Warning: HoloGirlsVR updates have been very spotty over the last few months, and there has been zero communication from Hologirls as to what is going on with their release schedule. I myself, suspended hosting HoloGirlsVR trailers around September 2017 or so.
HoloGirlsVR Site Details
An Interesting Take on VR
HoloGirlsVR started releasing content in late 2015 and early 2016. While in February of 2016, we would describe them as a Beta site, we are excited at the direction that HoloGirls was heading in. In a sea of similar first person POV shots, HologirlsVR is standing out in virtual reality porn with some 3rd person POV voyeur viewpoints and some interesting ideas.
*In hindsight to this statement from our original review, I miss this initial direction now in 2017.
Facesitting and Giant Scale
New updates in Spring and Summer 2016 saw HoloGirlsVR venture into Facesitting, large scale "Cinematic" presentations and several movies featuring Mistress T and her niche play among directions ventured.
If you have ever wondered what it would feel like to stand in a room in the middle of 3 couples going at it hard and heavy, the early HoloGirlsVR orgy clip Party of Sex offers the closest thing this reviewer has encountered thus far. Offering complete rotational immersion with no "wall effect" where the video stops, lends a great deal to the virtual effect of this movie. On the downside, early HoloGirlsVR rigs also have some issues such as noticeable stitching in sections of movies which create a wall of their own diminishing immersion as is also clearly displayed in this early work where you see body parts lopped off by the stitching process. Where this was novel in early 2016, it was no longer acceptable by the summer of that year and HoloGirls continued to cling to failing tech in that regard.
Some Definite Early Winners
HoloGirlsVR movies such as the anal video with Vicki Chase and The lesbian video featuring Brett Rossi and Blake Eden were early favorites and top choices by the end of May 2016 include Angel n' Danger, Schools out for Yhivi pt. One, and the recent Joanna Angel facesitting video. Mistress T also has several videos now that highlight her skillful acting chops. HoloGirlsVR also released what was widely considered to be the first legit GFE for VR with Get Flix and Chill featuring Yhivi.
HoloGirlsVR decided to adopt h.265 early, causing issues for many in the first half of the year in 2016, specifically users of older nvidia 970 and 980 based video cards. New h.264 file versions have now been provided to support hardware a bit more. You can find the h.264 versions under the "Device" menu on the top right side of the HoloGirlsVR page, to change settings for movie or preview downloads to the "generic" file for h.264.
Summer 2016 Update
Summer Update: mid summer content sees overscaled Cinematic movies phased out and much in the way of virtual facesitting. It is just hard to recommend HoloGirlsVR from month to month, as being consistent in anything other than being inconsistent and adventurous in spirit. It is the box of chocolates in VR porn right now and not saying that is a good or bad thing....just saying, when yer paying, lol. Read our Q&A with HoloGirlsVR Developer Anna Lee here for more details on HoloGirlsVR's vision as a studio and choices with regard to types of content thus far.
Winter 2016/17 Update
Winter.....has been weird at Holo! lol. If there has been one thing Holo has been consistent at this year, it is being inconsistent. Movies in November and December see much in the way of solo vids, with very little fucking going on at all lately. Holo have moved to a new rig and finally ditched the seams in their image on some shoots, but have struggled to shoot anything very compelling with it yet, and have put out a run of movies with harsh lighting and deep shadows that have seemingly not caught fire with viewers this winter so far.
The new 2017 rig itself, was not without it's own set of issues in the form of undulating lines in the image and a sharp "point/line" at the top. We would honestly characterize both rigs as still being Beta VR rigs. However movies toward the end of February such as Porn Star Experience with Cheri Deville looked pretty solid in terms of some of the bugs I had been noticing on the new setup and this carried into Spring of 2017. Drip feeding clips in the form of part 1 and 2 content is perhaps one of my major pet peeves with current releases from HoloGirlsVR in 2017, as nothing says immersion quite like come back in 3 weeks for the fuck portion of the movie 🙂
New, 3rd party content sourced from Europe has been added in June 2017, and I was pretty bummed to see this stuff turn up at HoloGirlsVR as it is non-exclusive content, some or all of which has been released by other studios already. HoloGirlsVR have also added a All Access Pass for HoloGirlsVR, KinkVR and Burning Angel VR but I would strongly recommend against this as KinkVR is hardly updated at all and Burning Angel VR has been dormant basically since right after launching.
Check out our numerous HoloGirlsVR Movie Reviews!
At this point, in November 2017, I would not be surprised if HoloGirlsVR is going out of business. Their content is turning up on other websites, they are rarely updating the home site anymore, they are putting out content from VR3000 and they have went totally silent on reddit. They seemed to mothball both Burning Angle VR and KinkVR in the same silent manner and this would appear to possibly be the death rattle for HoloGirlsVR. They are still up as of Spring 2018, but are rarely updating the site at all.
Recommend Viewing Some Samples First
Check some of the preview clips first to see if you can run them well or if you enjoy the style. If you find some you like, then by all means, give em a look, as they are going to be different from what you will find elsewhere. Newer samples in 2017 are running up to 7 minutes, so you can get a good sense of what you are in for. I personally, really like the overall vision at HoloGirlsVR, but I am often also mystified by technical, production and marketing decisions as well as their head in the sand nature regarding their technical issues.
Some Good Stuff, Some Really Shakey Tech, Sketchy Vibe in 18'
There is enough content and some decent scenes at HoloGirlsVR to warrant a one month sub to check things out. I highly recommend experimenting with the previews first to see if things fall within your tolerance level in terms of tech. They have some cool stuff over at HoloGirlsVR, just be ready for a bit of the unexpected and not really as traditional a VR presentation as other studios are using.
I would say they are pretty much dormant at this point in June 2018 and it is probably rather unlikely that they will resume production?